What the Church is (re)Discovering about Disciple-Making by Jake Dukes
What the church is (re)discovering about disciple-making … and how that can impact your church, too.
Here are 5 topics about disciple-making you cannot ignore.
Disciple-making prioritizes reaching the lost.
Jesus was focused on the lost
If we are serious about the lost our discipleship will take us outside the church
God loves to shower His love on the lost
Disciple-making emphasizes life in the spirit.
- Jesus said that it was better for him to leave because he was sending the Spirit
- What is God up to in my life?
- How am I aware of God’s presence?
- Disciple making is equipping people to use their spiritual gifts
- The drastic shift in the demeanor of the disciples after Pentecost was the reality of the Spirit of God in their lives
Disciple-making isn’t for “experts”
The disciples were unlearned men
People will disconnect if we get too technical
We need to find a simple approach to discipleship
Engage in the disciplined pursuit of less complexity
Start with the idea of spiritual friendship
Disciple-making happens best in community.
- Jesus did not leave behind a book, a creed, a system of thought or a rule of life, but a visible community
- We need one another to grow spiritually
- We need to redefine what it means to be in a group
- We need to equip strong leaders who live out the life of Jesus
- Our groups need to be inward, outward and upward focused
Disciple-making is evidenced by acting on truth.
- Obedience is the focus of the New Testament
- The great commission ends with obeying the words of Jesus
- It’s easy to regurgitate truth much more difficult to act rightly in difficult situations
- The true test of discipleship is a crisis of faith
Announcing: Building a Disciple-Making Culture with Jake Dukes
Join Jake Dukes on a pastoral journey as he guides you with a strategy for groups in your church.
Download done-for-you resources over six coaching sessions that include in-depth coaching videos and worksheets, designed to set you and your team up for success.
- Casting Vision for Disciple Making
- Developing a Disciple Making Pathway
- Disciple Making in Groups
- Group Leader Training
- Developing a Scorecard for Group Health