Here are seven interesting stories to save in your files, along with a quick thought on how you could leverage the story in a message.
- A Texas police officer writes a ticket, but folded a $100 bill inside the citation. Read the story about #grace. God gives us a great gift, even though we are guilty.
- Wikepedia, the free encyclopedia that everyone writes, put the mega-staffed, super-popular Microsoft Encarta out of business. Read the Wikepedia article about Wikepedia and remind your congregation that everybody is better than somebody. #volunteers
- Chinese bamboo produces little outward growth for the first four years of its life. Though it’s puny and pitiful, there’s something powerful happening underground. In the fifth year, the tree grows eighty feet! We must cultivate our #soul and understand that the root comes before the fruit.
- Starbucks reclaimed four shipping containers and make a pretty cool store. They say the containers are “reclaimed, refurnished, renewed and revived.” Sounds like what God does in our hearts. #restoration
- There’s a 99.99% soundproof room in Minneapolis that holds the Guinness World’s Record for being the quietest place on earth. NASA rents it to train astronauts. Reminds me of what could happen when we heed the words of Psalm 46:10 and be #still.
- Duffy Daughtery was the football coach for the Michigan State Spartans from 1954 to 1972. At the end of one game, Daughtery sent in his kicker to win the game. As the kick sailed through the uprights, the kicker looked at the referee. Why? Because he had forgotten his contact lens and couldn’t see! Though he couldn’t see the goalposts, he’d practiced the kick so many times, it was routine. This story might work great in a message on spiritual disciplines, Bible reading, consistent community or parenting.
- A famous violinist named Joshua Bell once played for 45 minutes in a Washington DC Metro station. Though he paid a $3 Million violin and had sold out a Boston theater just two nights before, only six people stopped to listen to his music. What a great story to illustrate that we should never take people for granted.
Want more help with your weekly sermon? Preaching Rocket a 12-month program that brings you content AND COACHING.
You will get 52 great preaching stories from the worlds of science, technology, history, sports, literature and more. Not only will this content help make your messages better, the program will deliver twelve modules of focused coaching to help you get better as a preacher. While you work on your sermon, we’ll work on YOU.
But you’ll also get 12 MONTHS OF COACHING, on important topics like:
- How to structure a great sermon. I’ll show you how I build a talk from the ground up.
- Creating a memorable bottom line. If you want people to remember lines from your messages, this formula will help.
- Seeking feedback and dealing with critics. This can be one of the most helpful or harmful experiences of a preacher.
- How to create a preaching calendar that really works. Not only will we show you exactly HOW to do this, we will give you some tools to make it easier.
- Preaching to the Unchurched. If you want to reach people with the Gospel, these principles can really help you.
- How to build an introduction that draws people in to the message. The first five minutes are the most important in your message. Are you leveraging them properly?
- Preaching for a response and calling people to action. This will help you call people to put their faith in Jesus, jump into a small group, sign up for volunteering, or give!
- Becoming a master storyteller. People remember stories, not facts. Learn how to tell them and where to find them.
- Creating a preaching team so others can share the load. Building others isn’t just healthy preaching, it’s discipleship!
- How to study the Bible for preaching. We will show you methods and systems for starting with the Scripture, so you’re not sharing your opinions but teaching God’s Truth.
- How to be spiritually and emotionally healthy. It doesn’t matter if you’re a great speaker but your soul is empty.
Each of these modules comes with an eBook, an audio training course, a coaching video and a listening guide. There are documents, spreadsheets and interviews sprinkled throughout the program. Together, it’s a powerful and practical tool to improve your weekly messages.
Hundreds of people are going through the program and I want to invite you to join them. Here’s what two preachers had to say about the program.
“I’ve got sermons for the next 6 weeks already prepared and in the crock pot! I’m eager to see how God uses them to change ME over the coming weeks, let alone my congregation and the surrounding community! Thank you for your investment in me.” – Cliff Purcell,
Lewiston First Church of the Nazarene
“I believe preaching rocket has been one of the greatest resources to come out for pastors.” – Justin Trapp